Sunday, January 15, 2012

Mary and boys visit - Botanical Garden

We also explored the Botanical Gardens, and they were really pretty!  I was expecting a lot of cacti, to be honest.  I mean, I do live in New Mexico.  But I was pleasantly surprised, both by the beauty and by the size of the gardens.  There was so much to see! 

 Even the entrance was gorgeous!  We couldn't bypass a photo opp like this!

Mary and her little men
 Mary and her little men...plus Aunt Sarah
 The boys liked the statue of the boy trying to get the cat.  They kept talking about Dolce. :)
 It was a remarkably warm day.  The boys had an awesome idea: to run through the sprinklers!  The lady spraying down the concrete was nice enough to spray the boys too (although she was really confused by my request to have her spray my nephews.  She was really hesitant at first, but I thanked her profusely!)
 Look at those smiles!  They LOVED it!
  Cute and happy little men. :)
  We even saw a ginormous roadrunner on our way in!  I've never seen one that close!
This beautiful pathway, lined with all sorts of colourful flowers and brightly tiled benches, led into the rose garden.
  I, surprisingly, think the roses were my favourite part of the whole Garden Park.
 But the boys weren't quite as impressed as I was.  So off we trekked, to the bug room.  BUGS!  Ewwwwww!!  Lord help me if I ever have a bug loving boy!

They petted the TARANTULA!  I had to walk away.  I even gave Mary the camera to capture this photo, because there was no way I could watch.  Mary, being the saint and SUPERMOM that she is, even pet it.  I don't know how she did it.
 My favourite part of the bug room...okay, the only part of the bug room I actually liked....was this cute little frog.  I realize it's a Blue Poison Dart Frog, and could probably kill me with it's toxins.  But at least it's pretty.  :)
 After the boys had finally had their fill of spiders, hissing cockroaches, horned beetles, and scorpions, we headed on our way.  Mary and I stopped for a quick photo of the pretty pavilion where they hold small concerts (like the Christmas band that play carols during the Christmas light shows).
 And we found the cacti.  I KNEW there was going to be a LARGE display of them.  :)
 I'm not a huge fan of cacti.  Last time I lived in New Mexico, when I was about 4, maybe 5, I saw a small potted cactus in the store.  I asked someone if it was real, and they said no.  So I touched it.  It was definitely real.  And it definitely made me cry.  And it definitely took about 15-20 minutes for my Mom to tweezer all of the tiny little pricklers out of my finger.  Mean lying man!  But now I can appreciate their unique beauty....from afar.
Then we made our way to the Asian section.  I was surprised they had one, but I liked it. :)  I kinda miss Japan.
Then off to the animal farm.  Found this bizarre three-horned goat.  Never seen one of those before.
After that, we made our way to the HUGE train display.   It really was an enormous exhibit. 
 Then the butterflies.  I'm also not a big fan of things that fly.  You can't tell which way they are going to go!  Butterflies included. But I do think that they are incredibly gorgeous. :)
I love these people!
Long, exhausting day for the boys.  hehe
I had SOOO much fun with them while they were here!  I hope they come back soon!  *hint, hint*

No comments:

Post a Comment