Thursday, June 30, 2011

Last Single Ladies Getaway - Day 1

My friend Jessica is amazing.  She planned this big surprise adventure for me, as our last big hoorah as single ladies.  I had no idea where we were going or what we were doing.  She just told me the dates and what to pack, and we set out on the road.  I had a couple of guesses (Canada and Astoria, Oregon), but knew nothing.
First thing I learned: we were headed south on I-5.  That automatically took out one of my guesses.  Dad had guessed Great Wolf Lodge....so I was debating.
Then we passed Great Wolf Lodge...so then I was back to thinking Astoria. Several hours later...
 It was going to be a Goonies kinda day. :)
First stop - The Goonies house.  The now owner came out and chatted with us for quite a while, mostly about the neighborly deer that graze in their front yard.
 Next door - Data's house.  The window above the Ford truck was the one that Data ziplined out of to get into the Goonies house.
 After that - Geno's Pub & Grill.  Don't remember this part of the movie?  That's because it wasn't in it.  But it's on the old tennis courts that were in the movie and had the guy drinking out of the water fountain. 
 We decided to eat here for lunch.  Wowza it was a lot of good pizza.  We went halvsies: taco pizza and chicken alfredo pizza.  They were both very very tasty.
 Then we went across the street to the Astoria Coffee Company, which was the site of the convenience store in the movie.  The lady inside was super nice, but wouldn't let me take pictures.  Boo.  But I still bought chocolate covered espresso beans.  Yum!
Then we went down to the Port.  It was a drivable dock, so we drove right out to the edge and then walked around.  I LOVE boats.  I really think I could be perfectly happy being a commercial fisherman.  In one of those rugged (but still comfy) boats that is obviously used instead of just owned for prestige.  Those boats make me feel like I can breathe more deeply. 
There were sea lions laying out all over the place.  Most were very sleepy, so we snuck in close and took a few pictures.  Don't worry, we were still smart and safe.  But yes, I was this close to the sea lion. :)
 This one decided to wake up and say hello.
 After we enjoyed the port, we decided to go see a few more Goonies sites.  The bowling alley where Chunk was when he saw the police go buy.  And yes, I did the truffle shuffle outside.  And no, there are no pictures/videos. ;)

 After that we went to the County Jail (where the Fratelli bro escaped at the beginning of the movie).  It's now an Oregon Film Museum and has a good amount of Goonies memorabilia.  It wasn't awesome, but had some fun stuff.
 Like Data's costume. :)
 Afterwards, we headed to Cannon Beach...home of the Haystack Rock.  I've wanted to go here for YEARS!  And it was totally awesome.
 I was SOOOO excited!
 And of course, Jess was awesome enough to bring the movie.  We watched it in the hotel room.
It was a great Goonies day! 

On the way to the hotel (which, I found out, wasn't in Astoria...the adventure was continuing in another place for the rest of the weekend!), we stopped at a Chinese restaurant for dinner.  We decided to split a family dinner for two.  We assumed that by ordering it for TWO that would mean they would change the portion sizes accordingly (esp. considering the price was only for two).  Not so.  This was what they brought to the table.
Hot tea.  Egg drop soup.  Spring rolls, beef slices, and a meaty spring roll type thing as an appetizer.  Then four heaping plates of entrees.  Holy freakin' cow.  Our jaws literally dropped as the waitress put it on our table.  And then we both just BURST out laughing.  All the waitress said was, "I'll bring boxes."  :) 
After we had eaten a large dinner, we had four to-go boxes that were all absolutely full.  Not bad for $20.

Then we went to our hotel room, which was at The Coho in Lincoln City, Oregon.  It was fancy!  And it was right on the water.  Our room was on the top floor, overlooking the beautiful beach and ocean.  Gorgeous!  We got there at 11pm, so we couldn't see much, but we did see this:
Absolutely beautiful.  We kept the balcony door open all night so we could sleep with the sounds of the waves.  Ah, glorious. 
Great first day.  Great first day, indeed.

1 comment:

  1. Your face in the Chinese food picture is priceless. What a super fun and creative getaway. Nicely done, Jess!

    ReplyDelete